Monday, February 06, 2006

Pistachio Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies


What better to do on a Sunday night during SuperBowl XL pregame than to make a butt load of pistachio walnut chocolate chip cookies. Yum! As I mentioned. This blog will be a little bit o' everything. This would be the domestic goddess portion of the blog, soon to be followed by the movie critic, restaurant reviewer and environmentalist portion. What's that? You too want to make these delicious creations, here you go.

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks, 1/2 pound) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated [white] sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups (12-ounce package) NESTLE TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1/2 cup chopped pistachios

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in large mixer bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE in preheated 375-degree [Fahrenheit] oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

(Note: becuase I have a small ass galley kitchen stove I baked the cookies at 350-degrees for 7 minutes. Small ovens seem to cook faster.)

Restaurant Review: Stephanie's on Newbury Street
Sunday I took my mom to Brunch for her birthday. Happy 54 Mom! I've been to Stephanie's before for dinner and for brunch and the food is always great, and in contrast to some reviews I have seen, the wait staff has always been cordial and attentive. This sunday was no exception. Our waitress was curtious, attentive and very nice. Other waitstaff stopped by our table and asked our predictions for the game and were in general very cordial.
That being said, I expect great service when I drop a C note on breakfast. I'm not judging here because I chose the restaurant, but $100 for four is generally what I expect to pay for dinner, including wine, not breakfast including coffe without libations in it. If however you have a hankering for a great Sunday brunch please do yourself a favor and order the Salmon Cake Bennedict - so frigging good. Eat it slowly and savor, it is truly great and worth the $16 you will spend on it. However, the blueberry pancakes were just okay and not worth the $14 considering you can get the same at Mike's diner in the South End for about a third of the price.

Movie Review: Memoirs of a Geisha
I have not read the book. Therefore I thought that I would really enjoy the movie. In general I tend to stay away from movies based on books if I have read the book - the films in general are always a dissapointment.
I give this movie 2 stars. I honestly just sort of lost interest in the plot and the characters. When the lights came on after I looked at EP and said - eh. That's it, at least it was a matinee and I only spent $7.5. Next Saturday EP and I are going to see Brokeback Mountain. There are films out there that you just have to see with your girlfriends because your husbands wouldn't be caught dead at, Brokeback is one of those films. So Saturday EP and I will get together to enjoy a film that neither of us would get to see if it were not for the bonds of girlfriends and the stubborn pigheaded men in our lives who can't see a movie with gay undertones, let a lone a gay cowboy movie.

Observation: Littering
What is wrong with people. Honestly, are you so lazy that you cannot walk a mere ten feet to the nearest trash can. The City is literally strewn with trash receptacles, designated places for you to throw your trash and yet people constantly think that the sidewalk is a good enough place as any to just throw their stuff. I bet your house is disgusting, it must be, you probably have a trash barrel in your kitchen, but I bet you house is littered with shit that just never made it there becuase you didn't feel like moving your lazy ass to the proper disposal area. I won't even get into the environmental ramifications of your actions, that will be for another day.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am with you on the littering. Near where I live you drive by random trash (a lot of it McD's tossed out of windows) and even dumped furniture! I once left a gas station convenience store walking behind an older man who ripped up and tossed his scratch ticket on the ground. I stopped and picked up the pieces and he turned around and looked at me. I gave him the most disgusted look I could muster and said "You shouldn't litter". I wish I could have come up with something better but I did do my part.