Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Chicken Stuffed with Caramelized Onion, Artichoke Hearts and Roasted Red Peppers

I'll stuff a chicken with anything. This particular time I decided to use caramelized onions, roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts, I also added a little low fat shredded mozzarella.

The best part about making this dish is you get to beat the living shit out of the chicken. Seriously, have any pent up frustration; husband being a jerk, mother in law getting on your last nerve AGAIN, sister acting righteous and holier than though? Take your mallet and just wail away woman! I have just found a new way to deal with the stress of being a middle child; it's called the meat tenderizer therapy.

Anyway, I had my way with the chicken breasts until they were flat and easily pliable. I then laid them out, and in the center of each breast, along the whole length piled up the onion, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts and the cheese. Starting from one and I slowly rolled the chicken from one end to the other, minding that all the stuffing stayed inside and didn't peep out the ends. I baked them in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes. These were supper big breasts which required additional cooking time, but if you have smaller ones, adjust the time accordingly

While I thought that I had put in a sufficient amount of cheese in each chicken roll, when I cut them open there was no stringy gooey goodness spilling out, so if you want to have a cheesy center add a lot of cheese.

Caramelizing the Onion

Cut the onion in half, and then slice the halves into strips. Sautée the onion in a little butter and olive oil on low heat for about half an hour, or until the onion becames translucent.

No comments: