Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Low Fat Zucchini Muffins

If you read yesterday's post then you know that I was left with over a cup of pineapple frosting when I was done icing the carrot cake. Not wanting it to go to waste, and not wanting to make another carrot cake esque treat to use it with my dad suggested that I make zucchini muffins. What a great idea. I got a lower fat muffin recipe, which used half white flour and half wheat flour, and also cut down greatly on the fat content by only using 1 tablespoon of oil, and one egg. This way I didn't feel so bad about lathering the muffins with cream cheese goodness. I personally think it was a win win situation. Instead of finely grating the zucchini, I coarsely grated it, which gave the muffins a really earthy texture, not a cake like texture; a welcome change to the usually dessert like substance muffins usually take on. I got this recipe from an about.com recipe search, which came back with this recipe from Fiona Haynes, Low Fat Cooking.

"A sprinkling of raisins and heart-healthy walnuts make these low fat muffins the zucchini equivalent of Morning Glory Muffins. Enjoy with a low fat smoothie for a great start to your day."

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup shredded zucchini, packed
1 tbsp lemon zest
2 tbsp canola oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup fat-free milk
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (I used Pecans because I absolutely hate walnuts)

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper cases or spray pan with nonstick cooking spray.


In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and sugar. In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, lemon zest, canola oil, egg and milk, stirring well.

Make a well in the dry ingredients; add zucchini mixture, raisins and walnuts. Stir until just moist. Do not over mix. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Per muffin: Calories
172, Calories from Fat 40, Total Fat 4.5g (sat 0.4g), Cholesterol 18mg, Sodium 185mg,

I topped half of the muffins with the left over pineapple cream cheese frosting, and sprinkled them with toasted coconut. Yum.

Rating - Damn Good

2 comments:

wheresmymind said...

I'm wondering why I don't get any of these yummy treats!!

Anonymous said...

I just made these, and they tasted great! I had run out of all-purpose flour, and used only whole wheat. They still came out yummy :) Thank-you!