Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Food for Thought | Chiffonade

I don't have a food post today, however, I do have a thought post, so maybe it's a food for thought post. The word chiffonade, sounds all special doesn't it? Like if you saw it on the menu of some fancy restaurant in such a way; scallops in a white wine butter sauce topped with a chiffonade of fresh basil" you might say to yourself, wow that really is worth $22 bucks a plate for 4 scallops, what, with having gone through all the trouble to chiffonade the basil, that must be tough work.

If there is one thing that I am grateful for about learning how to cook and becoming more versed in the culinary language it's that I feel I can look at a menu and say...phooey, that's just a really fancy way of saying you took a handful of basil, rolled the shit up and then sliced it with your big fat chef knife. I'm wicked smart.

2 comments:

wheresmymind said...

You are not wicked smart...you are whiiicked smaaat!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Oh, boy, I just cried here - you make me laugh so hard sometimes, sweetie.