Friday, May 09, 2008

Vegan Chocolate Ginger Hazelnut Banana Bread


First let me say this is the best banana bread I have ever made.
Second. I went to see Lewis Black last night at the Opera House, very funny. The show started about 15 minutes late, and there was a local comedian who opened up for Lewis. He was actually pretty funny. After his 30 minute act he let the audience know that there was going to be a 15 minute intermission, and then Lewis would come out to do his act.

As with every show or event you go to, intermission means, every woman in the whole building will now scramble to the bathroom, and the line will snake around the whole building for miles on end. I waited in this line, because I'd had a few glasses of wine, and thought it best to go to the bathroom so I wouldn't feel the need to go in the middle of the show.

I waited in the line for a while as it snaked through the hallway, other rooms, and then finally into the bathroom. When it was my turn and a stall opened up, I entered the stall only to realize that the door latch didn't work, therefore, if I wanted the door to stay closed while I went to the bathroom, I needed to extend my left hand (I wipe with my right) and manually push the door closed. This was not that big a problem, the problem was when I realized that I needed both hands to pull up my pants, and now needed to use my head to push the door closed while I shimmied up my pants and buttoned them. I just couldn't help but laugh at myself, arms working feverishly, legs doing the one two jog while I tried to hoist my pants up over my hips, all the while maintaining enough forehead contact with the door to keep it closed.

Good Times.

So the show was good, I'm a little tired today because I got home way past my normal bedtime, and when the alarm went off at 5:30 this morning it took all my willpower to drag my tired limbs out of bed and put on my running sneakers and head outside for my morning run. And it also doesn't hurt to mention that I was so tired that I was at work a good hour today before I noticed that I never zipped my fly up this morning. Peek-a-Boo, I see you. Smooth Move Jules!

So, onto the recipe. I got this recipe from a Vegan website that I've been reading recently called Yeah, That Vegan Shit I took her recipe and made some minor modifications. See below.

This is her recipe:
2 large or 3 small very ripe bananas (I used only 2 small and it still came out fine)
1/4 c. applesauce
1/4 c. canola oil
1/2 c. sugar
2 T. molasses
2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. chocolat chips

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan (or muffin tins)In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas really well. Add sugar, applesauce, oil, and molasses, and whisk briskly to incorporate.Sift in the flour, baking soda, spices, salt. Use a wooden spoon to mix until the wet/dry ingredients are just combined. Fold in chocolate chips/nuts if using.Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake for 45-50 min. The top should be lightly browned and a knife inserted should be clean.
This is how I altered it.
Add
1/8 Cup chopped candied ginger
1/4 Cup chopped hazelnuts
1/2 Cup chocolate chips
Add a few more tablespoons applesauce
Rating = So God Damn Good

6 comments:

Ana said...

Banana bread with hazelnuts and chocolate chips? Oh my, I can only imagine how good it is! This is right up my alley and I will be making it soon!
Looks really delicious! Yum!
Ana

dinap said...

I made this over the weekend, and it is SO good. I didn't have molasses, so I subbed in Karo syrup that has been sitting around since an ill-fated pecan pie attempt a couple of years ago. And I used 1/4 tsp. ground ginger instead of crystallized. I loved the addition of dark chocolate and hazelnuts. I could have eaten a whole bowl of the batter, and it made the house smell SO good. Thanks for the recipe, Jules!

JB said...

Dina, I'm so glad you liked it. I thought it was awesome. Do try it with the crystalized ginger though, it's so good.

Shauna said...

This sounds heavenly!!! And vegan too! You should submit this recipe to my banana bread contest:

http://www.squidoo.com/moist-banana-bread-recipe

There aren't a whole lot of entries so you'd stand a good chance of winning the grand prize (a $50 giftcard to Sur La Table).


blessings,
Shauna

sweetie said...

i can't wait to bake from your blog! everything looks INCREDIBLE and i don't know where to begin.

JB said...

Sweetie, thanks so much, let me know how the recipes work for you.