Thursday, June 26, 2008

Shrimp with Spicy Peanut Sauce

So, I'm starting to run again, which is AWESOME. What is not awesome is that in the mere 4 weeks that I was forced to take off from running, I've lost considerable stamina and speed, and I'm pretty sure that I have gained back fat. Back fat which, I believe is starting in the spot between my boob and armpit, and then continuing around to my back. Seriously, I haven't really gained any weight, maybe two pounds at the most, but my body feels God awful and smooshy, not like it did when I was running 10 miles a day, and I wonder, how long it will take for my body to snap back from its forced running sabbatical. I just feel so gross, yack...ugh, and no amount of time on the elliptical machine makes up for pounding the pavement for an hour plus a day, it just doesn't. I think I've officially hit my mental limit with not running, I need my "me" time, my alone time, my repetitive foot in front of the other time. Please leg, please continue to get better because I can't handle much more of this. Pretty Please.



Also, I've recently gotten some comments from anonymous posters berating me on my use of foul language. Here's an idea assholes. If you don't like my language, don't read my fucking blog. No one is making you, no one sat your ass down in front of the computer, forced you to type in my url, and then forced you to read my posts. Also, if you're going to be all high and mighty about my use of language, please don't do it under the veil of anonymity, if you believe so strongly in your convictions don't hide behind an anonymous post you spineless weasel, leave your name.


Hungry?


So what do you do when you buy a jar of peanut butter called The Heat is On, peanut butter blended with fiery spices, well, you make spicy peanut sauce out of it. And it is delicious. I must say that I love this peanut butter, I have also bought their other flavors Crunch Time, Cinnamon Raisin Swirl, White Chocolate Wonderful, Dark Chocolate Dreams, and Smooth Operator. All Delicious.


So, here's what I made with The Heat is On - I'm not really sure what else to do with it.
I got this recipe from Recipezar and modified it a little.

Noodles
1 package vermicelli
While making the sauce, prepared vermicelli to package instructions. Drain, return to pot.

Sauce
2tbsp sesame oil
1/2 c chopped green onions
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1-16oz can bean sprouts
3 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tbs ground ginger
1/4 c honey
1/4 c The Heat Is On peanut butter
1/4 c reduced sodium soy sauce
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 lb raw shrimp

Heat the sesame seed oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add green onions, carrots, celery, garlic and ginger. Saute until vegetables soften, about 4 minutes. Add honey, peanut butter, soy sauce and vinegar, mix well. Add shrimp and bean sprouts and simmer until cooked through.

Pour sauce over pasta and toss to combine.

I served this with a great crisp sweet white wine and it was amazing.

Rating = So Damn Good

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Yum. And I don't mind your cussing, I enjoy it greatly.

I hear you about running. I took a running sabbatical as well and have only been able to get back up to about 4 mile runs. Very frustrating and my back fat is centered around the back armpit area. Lovely, huh?

Unknown said...

I found your blog through my sister, and I have to tell you that I find the swearing refreshing and "real". You take amazing pictures of your food!

Rachel

JB said...

Rachel - thanks so much for your comment. It's great to get comments like that.

wheresmymind said...

People need to get over cursing. Everyone went GAGA over Julie/Julia chick and she swears like a sailor and treats her husband like rubbish and she has a movie deal now! lol

Allison said...

Yours is the first blog I go to each day. The food photos are really good. Mine are not nearly as good. Maybe you could tell us how you do that. Anyway, it's a great blog, I like people who cuss, they sound like me.

Anonymous said...

Oh My God! I must find this FUCKING peanut butter (now you know the anonymous posts about your language weren't me at least)

- Molly V.