Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Its that time of year again....Jesus Promise Time

So. This year I have decided to give up Hot Chocolate. This may not seem like a big thing, but it is, becuse everyday at 2:00 I have a sugar free hot chocolate with a weight watchers cookie, and then before I go to bed I have another one with whipped cream. So I'm giving up something that I enjoy twice a day. This is made even more difficult by the fact that work has just stocked the supply of hot cocoa...bastards.

CB gave up what he always gives up. Dessert. So don't come here for dessert for the next 6 weeks cuz there ain't gonna be any. What there will be is bread/muffins/scones etc because CB made it abundantly clear that those, although tasty and sweet are in no way desserts.

So, the other day I made a variation of my Nana's Date Nut Bread. Where hers was made with eggs and shortening, I made mine without eggs and with applesauce as a substitute for the shortening. Sweet God in Heaven it was so damn good....it was so good we ate the whole loaf before taking a picture. I'm sorry...its was gone in like a day and a half. That kind of good.

Here is the recipe. Remember it's vegan so it won't rise like your typical quick bread. If you maybe use baking powder it would, but I didn't. I will however make this recipe again soon and use baking powder to see if I can get a rise out of it...ha, get it, rise out of..oh forget it.

Here's the recipe
Vegan Date Nut Bread
adapted from my Nana.

3/4 C chopped walnuts
1 C chopped dates (not dried)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 applesauce (Nana used shortening)
3/4 C boiling water
2 EnerG Egg Replacer (Nana just used two eggs)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 C sugar
1 1/2 C flour

Combine nuts, dates, b. soda and salt in bowl. Add applesauce (or shortening) and water., let stand 15 minutes. Stir to blend.

Beat eggs slightly, add vanilla, stir in sugar and flour. Add to date mixture.

Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for one hour.

Rating = So Damn Good (so good you didn't even get a pic - that damn good)

2 comments:

Angie Eats Peace said...

Mmmm...that sounds good. Thanks for the recipe!

JB said...

You're welcome Angie. Did you run that marathon yet? If not, hows the training coming?