Thursday, January 21, 2010

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup | Weight Watchers 0 points


I shit you not when I say I have had a red curry squash sitting on my side board by the fruit bowl since October. The other day I looked at it, hemmed, hawed, and decided its day had come, it was either going in my belly, or in the trash. You'd be surprised, but the information superhighway is virtually void of recipes for red curry squash, every time I googled it I got a recipe that called for butternut squash, and Thai red curry. Not what I needed. So, I treated it like a butternut squash and made this easy, tasty zero point soup. As I'm sure you know, brightly colored foods are really really good for you, and squash is no joke, it's packed with riboflavin, iron, Vitamins A and C. And this soup although it tasted like a virtually fat free soup, hit the spot served along side a grilled cheese and parsley sandwich. As I was eating the soup I though about how wonderfully it would pair with a nice white wine, my suggestion would be a Chenin Blanc, possibly this one here.


Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Weight Watchers Zero Points per 1/2 cup serving


4 cups vegetable broth
12 oz butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 large Vidalia onion(s), cut into 2-inch cubes 
1/2 small apple(s), peeled and cut into to 2-inch cubes
1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste 
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste  
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg, or to taste 

In a large stock pot, combine broth, squash, onion and apple; cover pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover pot and reduce heat to low; gently simmer until squash is very tender, about 10 minutes. 

Puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or puree in a regular blender in batches, careful not to splatter hot liquid). Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg; serve. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving. 

Rating = Good (Damn Good for zero points)


2 comments:

Allison said...

Howdy! We went to the Tucson Trader Joe's and bought the Trentare 33 based on your post. It's WONDERFUL. We're going to go back and get a case. It's good, and for the price, it's really good. Thanks for the recommendation.

JB said...

AM - YEAH! So glad that you liked it. Drink a bottle for me!